Here are 10 best practices for blogging for nonprofits:
- Embrace modern blogging: Shift from opinion-based content to telling stories and news updates about your nonprofit. Publish regularly but not necessarily daily, and consider turning off comments since online conversations have shifted to social media.
- Embed calls-to-action: Add visually prominent calls-to-action within your blog posts to encourage readers to take specific actions, such as signing up for a newsletter, advocating for a cause, or making a donation.
- Maximize your blog's sidebar: Utilize your website's sidebar to feature important calls to action and highlight relevant content, events, and newsletter opt-ins.
- Feature "Popular Posts" and/or "Related Posts": Prominently display your most popular blog posts and related content to increase page views per visitor and drive traffic within your blog.
- Format blog content for easy reading: Use short paragraphs, bold headings, hyperlinks, bullet points, and consistent-sized images and videos to make your blog posts visually appealing and easy to read.
- Share commentary and CTAs about current issues: Write about news topics relevant to your mission, provide commentary, and include clear calls to action to engage readers and encourage them to take action.
- Tell positive impact stories: Share stories that highlight the positive impact your nonprofit is making, as readers are inspired by positive stories and more likely to support your cause.
- Share resources and useful tips: Provide valuable resources and practical tips related to your mission to attract readers and establish your nonprofit as a trusted source of information.
- Publish numbered lists: Create blog posts with numbered lists as they are popular and easily scannable, attracting readers' curiosity and increasing engagement.
- Feature stories of individuals served, staff, and volunteers: Humanize your brand by showcasing the stories of people your nonprofit serves and the contributions of staff members and volunteers.
By following these best practices, nonprofits can effectively use blogging to engage their audience, drive website traffic, and achieve their digital marketing and fundraising goals. Read More about Effective Non-Profit Websites.