Website Redesign Tips
Are You Considering a Website Redesign? Here are some tips.
Redesigning your website is a crucial decision that can enhance your company's image and success. Here’s a complete guide to considering whether to embark on a redesign or a complete overhaul, starting with advice from industry expert Yoast and moving on to several aspects you should consider.
1. Evaluate Your Existing Content
- Keep What Works: Yoast advises against starting from scratch. Instead, analyze your content, delete the irrelevant or outdated material, and keep the good ones.
- Check Rankings: Plan for pages that rank well on Google; they’re worth preserving.
- Consider Redesign Over Rebuild: Rebuilding might not be necessary; sometimes, a redesign suffices.
Yoast's advice is never to start your website completely again. He feels there is usually some content well worth keeping:
“Well, I would never start all over again, even if you have over 1K posts and you think most of them are really bad. Just delete all the bad ones.... You can either choose to 410 them or to 301 them to the homepage.
Even if you’re only left with 20 or 30 good posts after you’ve deleted all the other stuff. You’d still have more than what you would have when you’d start fresh.
Just fix it up. Remove all the old stuff and then keep on going. Good luck!” from Yoast
2. Consider Technical Aspects
- Software: If your website uses outdated or expensive software, consider a rebuild by migrating to WordPress for its user-friendliness and SEO benefits.
- Functionality: Think about adding or improving features like forums, RSS subscriptions, blogs, or e-commerce.
3. Branding and Visual Marketing
- Align With Your Brand: Your website's visuals must resonate with your brand's goals, context, and audience.
- Colours and Themes: Choose appropriate colours and themes. WordPress allows theme changes for a fresh look.
It is well worth getting a graphic designer involved in a website redesign. Involving a graphic designer in a website redesign is an investment that pays dividends. Graphic designers will ensure a visually cohesive and engaging user experience that aligns with your website and other aspects of your brand, like print materials and signage. Their colour, layout, imagery, and typography expertise will create a seamless brand identity across different mediums. Focusing on the user's interaction and navigation can guide the visitor's attention to vital areas, enhancing usability and conversion rates. Overall, a graphic designer's touch enhances your website's aesthetic appeal, functionality, and consistency, reflecting your business's quality and integrity.
4. Restructure Your Site
- User Perspective: If navigation is confusing, a restructure is needed. A well-organized site enhances user satisfaction and SEO.
- Competitor Analysis: Compare with other sites for inspiration or caution, especially within your industry.
5. Improve Your Content
- Clear Calls to Action: Update your copy to communicate your unique value proposition.
- Content Strategy: Consider this course on Lynda.com to prioritize and think strategically about content.
6. Planning and Budgeting
- Ask Key Questions: Start with 'Why now?', 'What's the expected outcome?' and 'What's the budget?' to guide design and development.
- Contact Professionals: If needed, expert help can guide you through the decision-making process.
Conclusion Website redesign is more than a face-lift; it requires careful consideration of many factors. Whether it’s a matter of rethinking a few elements or a complete overhaul, understanding what to keep and what to change is the key to a successful transformation.